Gender Marker Changes, Charlotte, NC

HomeLGBT Services, Charlotte, NCGender Marker Changes, Charlotte, NC

Can I change my gender on my birth certificate in North Carolina?

Transgender persons in North Carolina can apply for gender marker changes under the law, although the state does require that you have completed a gender reassignment surgery.

Gender Marker Changes in Charlotte, North Carolina

Changing your gender on your birth certificate requires submitting quite a few pieces of documentation to the state registrar via mail, and some of these documents need to be court-ordered before submission. You are required to submit proof of your transition from your physician in the form of a notarized letter stating the completion of your surgical gender affirmation procedures, in addition to a certified copy of a court ordered gender change. Your application must also contain your handwritten request of the changes you would like to be made to your birth certificate, along with the completed ‘Section 2’ of an Application for a Birth Certificate with the “other” section filled out with “gender change”. Lastly a certified copy of your court ordered name change, if applicable.

Any and all fees ($15 for the name change, $15 for gender change application, and $24 for the certificate search and first copy) are due by cheque with your application, to be submitted via mail to:

​North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
​Division of Public Health – Vital Records
1903 Mail Service Center
​Raleigh, NC 27699-1900

Once your application has been received, processed, and approved, the state of North Carolina will issue a new birth certificate with your gender marker changes.

At Waldron Law Firm, PLLC, we understand the frustrations that come with applying for gender market changes, and recommend that a lawyer review your paperwork before submission to ensure that nothing is missed, and no time is wasted with an incomplete application. Give us a call today, and we’ll be happy to assist you.

At Waldron Law Firm, PLLC, we offer assistance with gender marker changes in Charlotte, Asheville, Waynesville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Morganton, Hickory, Statesville, Salisbury, Morrisville, Kannapolis, Concord, Huntersville, Gastonia, Pineville, and Matthews, North Carolina.